[poky] ac_cv_sizeof_off_t breaks curl compilation

Stefan Seyfried stefan.seyfried at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 8 04:42:29 PST 2013

Hi all,

I investigated why I get a libcurl5 package (libcurl.so.5) out of curl
with poky (branch dora, building for ARM and powerpc32).
Basically, libcurl.so.5 (instead of libcurl.so.4) means "you are doing
it wrong". curl configure detects that the ABI is broken (because off_t
is not 64bits) and bumps the SONAME, see lib/README.curl_off_t in the
curl source.

After a long and hard debugging session, I found out that the following
files set ac_cv_sizeof_off_t to 4:

    meta/site/arm-linux:ac_cv_sizeof_off_t=${ac_cv_sizeof_off_t=4}
    meta/site/ix86-common:ac_cv_sizeof_off_t=${ac_cv_sizeof_off_t=4}
    meta/site/powerpc32-linux:ac_cv_sizeof_off_t=${ac_cv_sizeof_off_t=4}

Now this is true for some cases, but only if e.g. _FILE_OFFSET_BITS is
not set to 64 (which curl does).

Curl does use AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(off_t) which works correctly, but only if
ac_cv_sizeof_off_t is not preset to the wrong value.

I'm now wondering how many other packages silently compile with wrong
features etc because of this. Curl is just very vocal about this issue,
so that it was easy to notify.

If this is not the right list to report such issues, please point me
into the right direction.

Thanks,

	Stefan
--
Stefan Seyfried
Linux Consultant & Developer -- GPG Key: 0x731B665B

B1 Systems GmbH